English Franšais Chinese

The village of Eguisheim

Research has shown, as is widely accepted, that the Roman legions introduced the growing of vines to Eguisheim, in the early days of this era.

line_left.gif

Eguisheim_2008_vue_aerienne-zoom.jpgEguisheim is rightly considered to be the “Cradle of Alsace Vineyards”. In 810, a “cour dimiere” with vineyards was given by Charlemagne to the convent of Ebersmunster. In 898 the abbey of the Benedictines in Munster also owned a cour dimiere with vineyards.

In total, in the medieval commune, there were 16 “cours colongeres” [special provincial courts] belonging to ecclesiastical institutions that sourced their wines here.

In the 15th century, most of the European courts, above all those of Northern Europe purchased Alsace wine. The wine left Eguisheim for Colmar by the river Ill and then we transferred at Strasbourg on the river Rhine. Certain walled vineyards appeared to be more celebrated than others: Eichberg, Pfersigberg and Eguisheim. The Thirty Years War (1618-1648) was a disaster for Alsace: reconstruction had to be carried out as quickly as possible; but soon the more productive wines from the plain started to compete with the wine produced on the hills.

In the 19th century, the Alsace vineyards reached 28000 hectares and no longer exported their produce. There followed a tragic period, when oidium, mildew, and phylloxera threatened its very existence. In 1945 the vineyard only covered 6000 hectares, albeit 6000 hectares on the very best slopes. There then began an unprecedented revolution.

Eguisheim, due to the quality of its production, is now one of the premier wine growing communes in Alsace.